Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ye Olde Photoshoot

I roped my husband into taking some pictures of me in my "Loppem". I still haven't found the right buttons, but I'm sure that won't take long. It's a little on the big side, but it's still wearable.



I went with the bed jacket feel of the sweater, but it looks just as good with jeans.



The photoshoot may have gotten a little out of control. They always do.



I blame this on the old French nether garment. Just look at these seams.



Who sews like this? This woman must have started her first sampler in utero. I'm awe struck. I'm sure I could sew a seam like this, but could I do it for yard after yard, by candlelight, after making three hot meals, looking after five kids, slaughtering a chicken, and taking forty pounds of laundry to the local lavoir? This kind of craftwomanship is truly commendable. Here's one of her buttonholes.


To give you an idea of scale, that button is about the size of one of those tiny little buttons used to secure the corner of a man's collar. You know, those buttons that are impossible for anyone over the age of 14 to button. The most shocking thing about this masterpiece of everyday life, is the price. I paid ten euros for it. Every seam is hand sewn, all of edges are finished with a hand sewn scalloped lace, every tiny button hole is perfection, and it cost me ten euros.



It hurts a little to see something so beautiful, so undervalued. There are racks of these things at every antique show, and most of them are just like this. Now that I knit, when I look at these, I see hours of a woman's life.



Thanks H.C., I promise I'll wear it with you in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment