Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Little Tomten

March was a funny month, what with all of that monogamous silliness, but I think it's made April sweeter. I've cast on for all sorts of projects without the usual guilt, and I've even been inspired to stay the course with some of the UFOs from March. I guess that's reason enough to try a month of monogamous knitting. Here's my latest UFO turned FO.


This is my version of Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Modular Tomten Jacket". I knit it with some leftover balls of Manos from the stash. There are three colorways that feature brown, and one ice blue colorway. There are some sweet little pockets on the front, that I edged with an i-cord trim. It was my first time knitting an applied i-cord, but it won't be my last. It's magic. It's such a fast and easy way of putting a perfect border on an imperfect edge. The best part of an applied i-cord is that it looks good on both sides. That doesn't happen very often with knitting, or for that matter with anything else in life.


The stranded patterning is of my own design, but it could easily be replaced with simple garter stitch, or with a different pattern. I really love the way that the thick and thin Manos yarn worked up in the stranded work sections.




I'm one hundred percent happy with this little jacket. It's soft, it's practical, it's an easy knit, and best of all, it makes my little man look like a garden gnome. It's way too big for this spring, but it should last him all of next winter. Hooray for spring. Hooray for knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment