Monday, April 13, 2009

No Fussin'

The socks are knitting themselves.



Well, they're almost knitting themselves. It's strange how one pair of socks can languish in the sack of despair for months, and another pair can be knit in a matter of days, with no fussin' or feudin' at all. Shocking as it may be, in my 9 years of knitting, I have never knit myself a pair of socks. I have knit them for plenty of other (mostly grateful) people. But this pair, this pair is the pair that I have been dreaming of.
Turning 30 is too often billed as a traumatic birthday. 30 was very good birthday for me. It helped me realize that, while it's good to give away knits, it's also good to take care of yourself once in a while, maybe more than once in a while....maybe all of the time.



I've also just found out, that I may be a sock person. I think I want a whole drawer of these things. In the past I've always opted for more complicated sock patterns. This was a mistake. I do much better when I can put them down, and pick them up hours later, without having to look at a chart. I also need them to be done quickly. Making two identical knitted objects is tax on my sanity. I need the whole operation to be as quick as possible. These have just enough interest to keep me from feeling like I've eaten three bowls of plain oatmeal, but not so much that I start going cross eyed. They are, in a word, perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment