Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stripe-ed

I'm not big on new years resolutions. In fact, I'm not a big fan of new years. It just seems like a big fuss over a date that most of the world can't agree on. However, I'm not immune to social norms, and I always think about the new year, in terms of what I'd like to accomplish. This year, I'd like to blog more, knit more sweaters and less hats, put a huge amount of compost into my garden, take more long weekends instead of a long vacation, go for walks somewhere other than my driveway, count orchids in the woods and learn how to roll out pasta with a rolling pin. We'll see how many of these things I get done and next year I'll make, or not make, resolutions accordingly.
In the interest of ego boosting, I'm going to count this striped sweater as the first sweater of the new year. It was finished on new years eve, so it's a close call. Maybe it's not a close call for the tax man, but I'm going to call it for 2010.


This was knit in Mission Falls 1824 merino superwash. I haven't had the chance to buy some elastic tread for the collar, but the recipient doesn't seem to mind too much.


He's got a mouth full of milk in this photo. It's like having a human water balloon running around the house.
I didn't use a pattern for this. I was getting 4 sts to the inch on size 7s. After measuring another sweater of his I decided to cast on 96 sts, and just went from there. I didn't bother to worry about the jog in the stripes. It runs up to the armpit and then hides in one of the decrease points of the raglan shaping. I made the body of the sweater a little longer, because I wanted it to be extra warm. I can always lengthen the sleeves as he grows.
While we were in D.C. I had a chance to visit Stitch DC. I found a couple of really great yarns there, and while I was perusing the needles selection I found a special Addi Turbo circular sock needle. I couldn't resist trying it. I don't like it. Let me be more specific. I really don't like it. It makes my hands hurt, and I feel like I'm some sort of giant handed freak. Plus, the stitches keep slipping off of it. Yikes. Here's a picture of the sock and the mean needle.


The needle may have left me cold, but the yarn is great (Farmhouse Yarns Fannie's Fingering Weight in Wildflowers). The pooling is a little crazy, but I kind of like it. I'm going to place those wide lightening bolt like stripes on opposing sides of the socks. Here's a closer shot.


The stripes remind me of Missoni. Mmmmmm Missoni.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking the same thing--it totally looks like Missoni!

    ReplyDelete