Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sweater Dating

After some consideration, I've decided not to try and knit another "Owls" sweater right away. Instead, I'm going to try and knit myself a different sweater with a different yarn. Note I said "try". I'm also going to "try" not to get my hopes up about this one. If learned anything from dating it was that the right guy will show up just about the time you've stopped looking. I'm hoping this also applies to sweaters. I'm going to play it cool and keep my options open.
I've chosen the "Turbulence U-Neck Sweater" by Norah Gaughan.


It's a good versatile piece, with a lot of stockinette and enough people have knit it that the errata for the pattern has been worked out. Translation, it's the nice guy of sweaters. To make things a little more exciting I'm using a yarn I bought while on vacation. There's something so seductive about new yarn. Don't get me wrong, stash yarn is great, but it's familiar. Recently purchased yarn still has that yarn store smell.
The yarn is a good sturdy wool called "Imperial Stock Ranch 2 ply" in a heathered shade of raspberry (my color name, not theirs).


This combination of reliable wool with a steady eddie pattern should help to avoid any unpleasant surprises.


I swatched last night, and my gauge was way off, but the fabric was already on the verge of being stiff, so I'm knitting myself an extra small. This has the advantages of making me feel extra small and of being fewer stitches to knit, excellent. I even took the time to make sure that my math for the finished bust size was real math, not my usual "Alice in Wonderland" math.
In the spirit of not getting too committed I'm going to find another sweater to work on at the same time. Maybe this other sweater will be the dangerous type. I'm sure I'll settle down and commit to a sweater in the future, but I'm on the rebound after a rough break up, and I need a little time to sort things out.

1 comment:

  1. Go with the flow - applies equally to dating and/or knitting!!

    ReplyDelete