Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Cold Truth

I've been meaning to blog, but a few things have gotten in the way. First, is a raging cold. Second, is a sick baby. He has the same cold. Third, is a sick husband, same cold. Fourth, is a sick brother, who's visiting, and managed to catch the cursed cold. Fifth, is the lack of will to live (which translates to a lack of desire to blog), on account of the cold.
Normally, I get pretty excited about having a cold. This is because, in my head, having a cold usually means hours of couch time with the knitting needles. Notice, I said "in my head". It never happens this way. When I start to get a cold, I panic, because there's, roughly, 5 bazillion things to do. So I spend the first hours of my cold running around, trying to batten down the house's hatches. Then, when the full fury of the cold hits, I am too tired to knit. All I can do is stare at my knitting, and moan about wanting to knit. I know, I'm painting a really pathetic picture. It's day 8, and tomorrow's my birthday, and darn it if I'm still sick with the cold. It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to. You know the rest.
At least I was able to get some knitting done. This time I fooled the cold. The first two days, I didn't get any knitting done. It was business as usual. I ran around, I tried to pretend that I wasn't sick, and then whammo, I was suddenly wondering if I shouldn't hang upside down to prevent myself from drowning in snot. By the fourth day, I had just enough strength to hold the needles. By day seven, I was making real progress on "The Vest of Shame". The secret to cold knitting is to contract the worlds longest, worst cold, and then wait until the forth or fifth day before picking up the knitting.
"The Vest of Shame" is rapidly taking shape. At first it took a rather stumpy shape, then after much ripping and cursing, it took a Frankenstein like shape. I was worried that my father might not be that long in the torso, so after much more ripping and cursing, we are looking at a father like shape. I have a deadline for this project, and that means it probably won't get blocked. I'm not wussing out, I'm just being realistic. I am not the kind of person who finishes her knitting several days before a deadline, so as to allow for blocking. My brother is leaving..on a jet plane...couldn't help myself there. I'll need to get this done, sewn, and wrapped before next Tuesday. That should happen. Jinx.
There was one really bright spot today. When I check the mail, I found this.



It's a teensy weensy sweater, stuffed with something that smells really good. This is the kind of thing that makes a weepy eyed, runny nosed knitter, get all weepy eyed and runny nosed. Thanks Debbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment