Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Off the Horse

This whole Monogamous March thing is sucking the knit out of me. I envisioned piles of FOs, and smug blog posts about success. My father's vest has struck a wicked blow. When I began knitting, I never swatched. This is not uncommon, but it is comparable to a new cook, not bothering to read the first two ingredients of every recipe. I won't always result in a disaster, but it will certainly result in a finished product that only vaguely resembles the picture in the book. I've just re knit the last third of the front of my father's vest, three times. Yup, three. That's a lot. It's a heartbreaking amount, but I had to make some alterations due to issues with gauge. If you are new to knitting, swatch. Don't ask, just do it.
All of this talk about swatching is just a lame attempt to justify what I am about to do. I have just swatched for a new sweater. Ahhhhh, that feels so good.



This is the "Owls" sweater that I was raving about earlier. My father bought me the yarn when he saw the yarn store owner's version. She had knit it while sick with a cold. It took her two days. I know, that's shocking. Now, I figure it's not really cheating, if it only takes me a couple of evenings. I'm still going to try and finish up a few of the UFOs before the official end of March, but I've learned a few things about myself.

1. I am not a project monogamous person.

2. I do not enjoy fixing mistakes made by a younger dumber me.

3. I love casting on.

4. I need to make more notes while I'm knitting.

5. My life and my knitting schedule are incompatible.

6. Spring is for gardening, not swearing at vests.

No comments:

Post a Comment