Friday, February 13, 2009

Foundlings

Today I found, stuffed rather meanly into a plastic bag, a collection of forgotten socks. I sort of knew about these socks, but I was also sort of pretending that they didn't exist, so that I could cast on for new socks without any guilt. Hobbies should be guilt free activities, but knitting seems to come with a lot of guilt. Another topic, another time, back to the orphaned socks.

These are almost finished, but I must have put them aside after some ripping out. It is also pretty clear that I don't have enough yarn to finish them......... and upon further inspection, one leg is shorter than the other. They are a wee bit funky, but they don't deserve to be shoved into a corner, only four inches short of the finish line.



I couldn't figure out which pattern, or yarn for that matter, these were (Edited to add, the pattern is here on Ravelry), and so with a little sleuthing I sussed out the patterning. I tend to think of my knitting as pre and post Ravelry. These were victims of my pre Ravelry ignorance. Before Ravelry, I believed I could live happily shoving every ball band in one sack, every pattern in a tatty folder, and never taking notes. This might account for the bag of unfinished socks.

Second up, is this beauty of a man sock:



This is also a pre Ravelry tragedy. I think I might have the pattern in that tatty folder I mentioned earlier. The yarn is from Phildar, but I must consult my giant bag of ball bands for the specifics. This system really lacks um, a system. I know exactly why this darling is missing a mate. I just didn't feel like making another one. Moving on.

This sock is, wait for it, also pre Ravelry. I'm pretty sure the yarn is from Mountain Colors, and the pattern is um, it's ummmm. I'll consult my tatty folder and get back to you (Edited to add, these are "Rib and Cable Socks from IK. They can be found on Ravelry here). Apparently, I managed to make it all the way to the heel turn, but then a simple miscount between cables got this sock sentenced to some hard time in the bag, poor sock.



Here's a mug shot of the perp.



Still, it's done its time, and now I think I'm going to give it a second chance. Besides, it's better to celebrate Valentine's day with a good mate.

Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment