Monday, February 16, 2009

A Very Little Bit of Sky

About a month ago I received a small package of scoured kid mohair. After a bit of sorting and carding, I ended up with two piles, a very small pile of locks, and a very big pile of fiber for blending. I'd been interested in trying to learn how to spin the locks (with some other carded fiber) into a bit of novelty yarn. I've never been a big fan of the novelty yarns. They're just not my bag, but I love learning new things, and I really wanted to do something with those perfect little white curls.
I started out by blending about 70% baby blue merino wool, with about 30% white angora. As I spun the single I added in the locks here and there. The end result was much better than I could have expected. I'm new to spinning, and I'm still so astonished by the fact that I can make yarn, that I tend to baby my little handspun treasures. I know that in a couple of years the magic will probably have worn off, and I'll scoff at my early efforts. But life is short, and I'm going to revel in this part of my relationship with spinning........ now, let's get back to the hat. After staring at the little ball for a month, I finally screwed up the courage to make something with it. Here's my "Summer Sky Baby Hat".

It's not quiet done. I'm still searching for a couple of bird buttons to complete it. There seem to be no shortage of babies in my life, so I'm sure it will find a good home as soon as I get my hands on some buttons. I think Etsy may be the answer. I need to do some button snooping.
There's actually another baby hat that I made out of my first attempt at Navajo plying.


There's something a little sad about this hat. It's been living in the bottom of my knitting basket for a couple of months now. I'm not sure what it's missing, maybe some knitted/crocheted leaves, or possibly a little felt mushroom. I just don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah! Happy blogging! What an adorable hat! I actually like the "sad" hat, it reminds me of an acorn. (That wasn't meant to be insulting, just how I see it ;) I'll keep checking in... Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, It's supposed to look like an acorn.

    ReplyDelete