Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The White Linen Lie

I follow several knitting and sewing blogs religiously. Every morning, after I'm done with the baby grooming, I pour myself a cup of tea and sit down with the blogs. I love perusing photos of socks in the snow, and quilts draped over tree branches, with little girls in handmade sundresses prancing in the foreground. I know it's all make believe, but I don't care. If they can make a hand knit that glamorous, then more power to them. I like to think that someone, somewhere is living in a gingham and dahlia dream house, with pavlovas on milk glass cake stands and cold glasses of homemade ginger lemonade always at the ready. Sometimes, I like to make people think that I live in the gingham and dahlia dream house. Most of the time this is not an option, because they either know me too well, or they're dropping off a package, and my child has just smeared peas all over my shoulder.
During the photo shoot of my completed Primrose Cozy, I was sweeping the reality under the rug. I was trying to take a photo that would trick the viewer into believing that my house was a perfect balance of stylish and cozy, a place where the loaves of bread practically bake themselves, and the tablecloths don't need ironing. I don't think I was able to achieve this. I was only able to push the pile of mail so far to the left, and I couldn't seem to avoid the wrinkles/crumbs on the tablecloth. Here are my pictures of the finished Primrose Cozy.









This is what my dining table actually looks like.



Because this is a knitting blog, and I'm on an honestly kick, here's a shot of the inside of the cozy. Don't expect this level of transparency from me in the future. I'm not sure I can bare the inside of my knitting, on the internet, more than once.


No comments:

Post a Comment