Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Waiting in the Wings

Just a couple of days before President Obama was sworn in, my husband and I received invitations to a big fancy party at the Hotel de Ville in Paris. Not being ones to ignore an embossed invitation, we packed our fanciest pants, and bought some train tickets. I was down with a terrible cold, my husband was showing signs, but denied any knowledge of said cold. Despite the bad weather, and the worse colds, we had a wonderful time. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do a bit of yarn shopping, so the cold and I made a trip out to La Droguerie. I'd heard a lot of good things, and wasn't disappointed. They carry their own yarns and patterns, but they also have a fantastic collection of beads, buttons, fabric flowers, feathers, bag handles etc. After fondling half of the shop ( the yarn, not the people ), I chose some fingering weight alpaca. One of the nicest things about La Droguerie, is that you can buy yarn by weight. I ended up with this collection of colors.


The small balls are for the yoke, and possibly the cuffs.



The cone is for the body. I think the color is most accurate in this photo.




It's my favorite kind of secret tweedy color. If you look closely it's a sort of soft off white/grey made out of all sorts of brilliant blues, reds, greens and yellows.
I haven't chosen a pattern. Most likely, I'll end up charting a pattern for the yoke, and using Elizabeth Zimmerman's magical formula, Ravelry link here. I'd like the yoke to have a bold design motif....maybe something a little modern. There are a couple of stranded yoke sweaters in my queue, but this yarn deserves it's own design. I don't have the time to start it now. The husband's birthday sweater beckons, and my father's "vest of shame" needs to be done and in the mail by...let's just skip the lie I'm about to tell, and move on. So, I don't have time for this sweater yet, but a little charting never hurt anyone, and a swatch is never a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment