Thursday, February 19, 2009

Late Snow

I'm plugging away on the tricksy sweater today, and haven't yet cast on for the posie cozy. To avoid more photos of endless brown stockinette, I'm going to turn to my spinning for help. I made several batts a couple of days ago, after reading Yarn Harlot's post about feeding fiber into a drum carder sideways. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, who put down her tea and made a mad dash for the drum carder. After a few experiments, I've discovered that this works for carding, but not so well for blending. While I was up in the spinning hole, I discovered some other experimental batts I'd made out of tussah silk. I thought, in a mad scientist sort of way, "What would happen if I threw all of these experiments together?"....



I'm naming them April Snow. I loathe a late frost, but a little bit of late snow is rarely as damaging. I think these look just like a new lawn with a layer of popcorn snow. The photo is not doing them justice. That green is a two tone electric kelly green. I would show you a photo of what they look like spun up, but frankly it's in an ugly duckling sort of phase. I'm planning on a two ply, one ply solid dark green, the other April Snow. So instead of the prepubescent yarn, I'll show you another photo of a series of batts that I blended for long subtle color transitions.



I used four shades of green merino top, and a little angora. Again, the photo is way off. They're much less yellow in person. I was thinking of this hat. I'm not sure if I'll actually use it for a hat. More than likely, I'll make some mitts out of it. It's almost spring, but I'm not giving up on my winter knits just yet.
I'm noticing a huge difference between the color of my pictures, and the color of them after they've been compressed for the blog. I'm going to see if I can fix this, or if maybe my tech support husband can fix it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment