Wednesday, February 25, 2009

UFO No Mercy

My favorite knitting podcast is "Stash and Burn". There's a "Stash and Burn Groupies" board on Ravelry. It's a great place to go for a little knitting momentum. Yesterday I noticed a thread titled "March to the Finish 2009". The idea behind this thread is that we all pull out a couple of UFOs to complete during the month of March. I quickly checked to see how many UFO's I have. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 13. That sounds bad, but actually it's only sort of bad.

Three of my UFOs have come to a halt due to some sort of yarn problem.


I spun the yarn for this, and as I spun the yarn got thicker and thicker. Consequently, the gauge is different for each piece of the sweater. Not exactly a good look, but I think I can salvage this one.



I need two more balls to finish this, and when I ordered them, I was sent the wrong color. That sort of killed the poor bear's chances of making it out of the UFO pile. I've got a couple of ideas about how to get this guy finished. I think it might involve some knitted bloomers. Knitted bloomers are always a good idea.



This is waiting for me to find a missing ball of Manos. I need to do this before my boy grows too big for the jacket. I may just throw caution to the wind and finish the sleeve with the brown yarn I have on hand. Babies don't really care about dye lots, do they?

Three of them are more than 70% finished.


Oh, Vest of Shame, why do you taunt me every March when my Father's birthday rolls around? This March I am going to finish you, stuff you in a box and weep.



These Socks are waiting for a quiet afternoon. This will probably never happen. I'm just going to have to finish them to the sounds of my baby destroying my kitchen.




This is so close it's actually been worn twice. I need to undo the cast off, and do a sewn cast off instead, to give the finished edge more elasticity. Then I can wash it, and give it away to someone who doesn't look like a gorilla when she wears it. I think the fact that I'm going ot give this away is actually what's been keeping me from finishing it.

Two are laying about due to pattern mishaps.


Dumb mistake.
Dumber mistake.

Then there are the hangers on.
These projects are the ones I can't seem to shake. These are the UFOs that haunt my stash. They are unfroggable, unforgiving meanies.





There's one more. This one's a hard one.



I started this when my grandfather was first diagnosed with cancer. Everytime I tried to knit it, I cried. Then my grandfather passed away. Then a really dear friend was going through chemo, so I picked it back up. Every time I tried to knit it, I cried. Then, our dear friend died. I think this hat might never be finished. Some things aren't meant to make it out of the UFO bin.

I'm going to pull up my pants, pull out the needles, and attack this pile without mercy. I'm turning 30 this March, and I'm not going to enter my third decade on earth with UFOs in my basket.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big blog commenter, but when I read your post, I had to. I'm also turning 30 in March. I've also just done an inventory of my WIP. It is too odd not to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, Hmmmm maybe we should try a UFO KAL. Or, is that too many capital letters?

    ReplyDelete