Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pink Toed Husband

I managed to sort out the patterns for the socks I posted yesterday. The tatty folder proved to be more reliable than it's name suggests. Ravelry also chipped in, but don't tell that to the folder. The first pair of socks, which were only a couple of inches from being finished, became Valentine's day socks. My husband went out for a couple of hours, and I planted myself in the rocking chair, with an ipod full of "Planet Money" (I like to yell at the free market people), and taught those socks a lesson. I did run out of yarn, no surprise there, but I had another bit of sock yarn in a pinkish purple. He arrived about 10 min. after I cut the last loose end, so I shoved them into the silverware drawer. Yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it saved me wrapping them, and it was a surprise. Mission Accomplished. The one pink toe is a sweet reminder of Valentine's Day. He was very into posing for the sock photos. I think he may have fallen over just after I took this shot.


Today we took a family trip to an animal park. There was fiber everywhere. Here are my findings.

Mini black sheep: The wool feels O.K., not great, but usable. They look a lot easier to shear, and are darn cute little critters. The biggest one was only about 3ft. long and 2ft. high. The babies were puppy sized.



Curly haired pig: Also cute, looks to be a bit cleaner than the other pigs. That curly coat feels like it would be good for scrubbing pots, not spinning. This is too bad. I would have loved to spin up a pig hair hat for my brother, maybe with a little possum thrown in. Pig n' Possum yarn sounds like a big winner to me.


Guanaco: Beautiful creatures, that looked like they were just starting to shed. My husband took one look at my face, and immediately told me not to climb the fence. I considered it.
There were others; mohair goats, buffalo, yak etc. , but their exotic chicken collection was inspired. I was caught off guard by some peacocks. I'd forgotten how beautiful they are. The blue on their necks is shocking. The combination of colors would make me look like a Vegas dancer, but they look so elegant on a bird, go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment